At UMV, we are excited to offer Road Skills Tests to our amazing customers. We offer tests from our Anchorage and Wasilla locations.
The fee for a Road Skills Test is $75. Vehicles with an ignition interlock device are $125. The exam fee must be paid in order to schedule the road exam and is non-refundable if you are late, do not show for the test, or fail the test.
If you were previously unsuccessful at passing the Road Skills test you must wait a minimum of 7 days before retesting. In some cases this may be longer, depending on the reason you did not pass the initial test.
WHEN TO ARRIVE:
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. If you are more than 5 minutes late, you will lose your appointment and forfeit the road test fee to and have to reschedule the road exam.
WHAT TO BRING:
You must bring the following items into the office when you check in for your appointment. If you do not provide the items listed within 5 minutes of the scheduled appointment time, you may lose your appointment, forfeit the road test fee, and have to reschedule the road exam.
- If you have not been issued an Alaska instruction permit or state identification card you are required to bring proof of the following: Legal name, date of birth, social security number and principal residence address. Please see this page for a list of acceptable identification documents.
- Instruction Permit or current (within one year) knowledge test scores. If you have lost your instruction permit, you are required to bring two pieces of identification. Please see our website for acceptable identification documents.
- Corrective lenses if applicable.
- Proof of Insurance that includes the Vehicle Identification Number and description of vehicle being used for the road test.
- If using a rental car, you must be listed on the Rental Agreement as an authorized driver.
- Current Vehicle Registration
- A parent or legal guardian with them or provide a notarized Parental/Guardian Consent for Minor - the Form is Here.
- The parent or guardian must provide their current license. A legal guardian must provide certified court documents proving guardianship.
- Held a valid instruction permit for at least six (6) months prior to the road test and cannot have been convicted of a citation in the last six (6) months.
You must provide your own vehicle. Seat belts are required for driver and examiner. Please check the vehicle over carefully prior to coming to your appointment. If the vehicle fails the inspection of the requirements below you will lose your appointment, forfeit the road test fee and have to reschedule the exam.
A list of items to check has been provided below to help you with the inspection:
- All lights (headlights, parking lights, brake lights, tail lights, front and back turn signals, and 4-way flashers) must be actual lenses not tape
- Windshield (cannot have cracks in the field of vision), working windshield wipers and defroster
- Good tires (tread, inflation and condition - studded snow tires can only be used where and when legal) brakes (including emergency/parking), muffler (tight exhaust system)
- Mirrors, working speedometer, horn, passenger seat, and seat belts for driver and examiner, and doors must open from inside and outside
- Front and back license plates with current month and year tabs on rear plate, and enough fuel for a 30 minute exam (1/4 tank)
- It is illegal in the State of Alaska (13 AAC 04.223) and within the Municipality of Anchorage (AMC 09.36.045) to have mirrored tinting material or aftermarket tint on any of your windows
The road exam consists of parallel parking, backing, quick stop, left and right turns, changing lanes, entering and exiting a freeway, 3-point turn, traffic signals, speed control, following a vehicle, intersection observance, stop signs, general driving, and use of vehicle equipment (mirrors, brakes, etc). Any violation of law, failure to perform, unsafe act, or contributing to a crash will require the road exam to be stopped. Please review the Alaska Driver’s Manual prior to your exam.
All audio or visual devices that assist in performing driving maneuvers such as backing or parallel parking should only be used as assistive devices and the driver must demonstrate habits consistent with safe driving practices, such as proper head position, mirror use, etc. Animals and passengers are not allowed to accompany you on a road test. Your cell phone must be turned off during the test. Please do not wear perfume or cologne to your road test appointment.
Road test fees are non-refundable.
REQUIRED FOR YOUR SCHEDULED ROAD EXAM:
- Current Registration
- Current Insurance Card for Vehicle
- Alaska Instruction Permit or Written Test Scores, Birth Certificate or Passport and Social Security Card
- If under 18, Notarized Parental Consent (Form 433) or parent or legal guardian must accompany you
- Inspect your vehicle prior to appointment day to ensure the vehicle meets VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS listed above.
If you do not provide the required items or your vehicle does not meet the requirements, you will lose your appointment, forfeit the road test fee, and have to reschedule the road exam.