REAL IDs / CDL / Driver’s Licenses


Most people will have the common items required to successfully apply for a Real ID.  To be issued an Alaska Real ID driver license, permit or ID card, you must demonstrate the following three things:


You'll need (TWO) of these documents.

  • Current US Passport
  • Current Driver's License or ID
  • Birth Certificate (if your name has changed due to adoption, marriage or divorce you will need to bring in your marriage license or court documents for the name change)


You'll need (ONE) of these documents.

  • Social Security Card
  • W2 – with full name and SSN listed
  • 1099R – With full name and SSN listed


You'll need (TWO) of these documents that prove where you physically live, one of the two dated within the last 90 days. Below are a few ideas:

  • Current Utility Bill (even if it is mailed to a PO Box, it may have your physical address as the service address)
  • Vehicle Registration card that was issued over 30 days ago
  • Pay Stub
  • Voters Registration card
  • Mortgage documents

All documents presented must be unaltered certified originals, certified amended originals, or true copies certified by the issuing agency. Documents must be valid and unexpired and may not be laminated. Foreign documents must have certified English translation.

You may have extenuating circumstances and be unable to provide the items listed above, don't worry, there is an extensive list of aternative, acceptable documents below.  If you cannot prove each of the required elements with the documents set forth below, you may be eligible to apply for a standard card. These guidelines may not cover every situation. Knowledge, vision, and/or other eligibility criteria may apply to your individual situation.



  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office)
  • Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid/unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Card (I-766)
  • Valid REAL ID license or ID card from a compliant state (Note: Documentation of U.S. citizenship or lawful status is required)

~ AND ~

Lawful Status: Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Authorization to be in the US

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office)
  • Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Adoption Order w/birth information
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • I-551 Resident Alien / Permanent Resident Card
  • I-766 Employment Authorization Card

~ AND ~ if applicable for name change

Name Change: If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, adoption or any other reason.  Multiple documents may be required to show all name changes.

  • Adoption documents that contain the legal name as a result of the adoption
  • A name change document that contains the legal name both before and after the name change
  • Marriage certificate
  • A certificate, declaration, or registration document verifying the formation of a civil union or domestic partnership
  • Dissolution of marriage/civil union/domestic partnership document that contains the legal name as a result of the court action

~ AND ~

SSN: These documents will prove your Social Security Number.

  • Social security card (not laminated or metal)
  • W-2 form
  • Social Security Administration (SSA) 1099 form
  • Non-SSA-1099 form
  • Pay stub with full SSN
  • I am ineligible for a social security number, a letter from SSA may be required

~ AND ~

Primary Residency: Two documents from below must be presented with one of the two documents being dated within 90 days.  Documents must be originals and can not be hand written.  Resident documents may have account numbers and balances redacted.

    • Rental or Lease Agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident
    • Deed or Title to residential real property
    • Mortgage bill
    • Home utility bills (including cellular phone)
    • Employment documents
    • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental and vehicle
    • An official document prepared and mailed to you by the IRS (1099 or W-2)
    • Change of address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service.
    • Property tax bill or statement
    • Faith-Based documents that include name and address of organization
    • Records from a financial institution/bank
    • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by The Alaska Division of Elections
    • Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education in Alaska
    • A Letter on letterhead from a homeless shelter, shelter for abused women, nonprofit entity, faith-based organization, employer or government agency within the United States attesting that the applicant resides in Alaska
    • Alaska Certificate of Vehicle Titles or Registration (Issued At Least 30 Days Prior To The Date of Application)
    • Alaska Tribal Card (For non-standard remote Alaska addresses only, within the tribal area indicated on the card)

    Address Verification Documents for the parent can be used for a minor child.  If the minors last name differs you must provide legal documents showing the reason for the difference. Examples would be marriage license, divorce decree, legal name change etc.


Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.  These purposes are:

  • Accessing Federal facilities
  • Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Entering nuclear power plants

TSA accepts several other forms of identity documents. For more information on acceptable forms of identification for boarding aircraft, please visit TSA’s website.

To get a REAL ID you need to provide documents proving your identity, Social Security Number and Address;

  • Current US Passport OR Birth Certificate,
  • Social Security Card, W-2 Form or 1099 with your full 9-digit SSN and full name listed
  • Two proofs of physical address, both must have the same PHYSICAL ADDRESS and only ONE needs to be dated withing 90 days.

No. Getting the REAL ID is optional, however starting May 3rd, 2023 every person will need a Federally Compliant ID to fly within the US and enter designated Federal Buildings or military installations. 

Yes! We can upgrade your driver’s license or we can issue you a State ID card as The REAL ID.

REAL ID compliant cards are marked with a star at the top right of the card.

Starting January 2nd, 2019, state law requires all new CDLs to be federally compliant. New means:

  • First ever CDL
  • Transferring an out of state CDL (even if you previously held an Alaska CDL)
  • Upgrade of an existing CDL
    • add/remove endorsements
    • add/remove restrictions
    • pursuing a higher class
  • Renewal of an existing CDL that will soon expire

All standard CDL cards currently in circulation continue to be valid until they expire. However, this type of CDL can only be used for official federal purposes while Alaska has an extension from DHS and ends on the federal enforcement date of October 1, 2021. 

Duplicates of a non-REAL ID CDL issued prior to January 2019 may still be issued to replace a lost CDL.  Current CDL holders may choose to get a REAL ID CDL any time after January 2nd, 2019 but are not required to do so until renewal. Duplicate means:

  • An exact copy of what was issued before the law change
  • A card reissued to update personal information not considered an upgrade or change to commercial privileges. For example:
    • change of name
    • change of address
    • addition or removal of general driving restrictions (e.g. restriction 1 – corrective lenses)

In summary, CDL holders have the following options:

  • Mandatory upgrade to REAL ID upon renewal to keep the CDL (may require a new hazmat check, as applicable)
  • Voluntarily upgrade to REAL ID CDL anytime (may require a new hazmat check, as applicable)
  • Downgrade to non-commercial DL upon CDL expiration if the CDL isn’t needed/wanted.
  • Stick with the standard CDL in hand knowing that it can't be used to access federal facilities past October 1, 2021 but is otherwise valid until expiration.

Unfortunately, no. However, a Global Entry Card meets all the requirements for a REAL ID so you not have to get the Real ID if you already have one.

No. Only documents reflecting proof of renewal will be accepted.  

No. A REAL ID is a form of identification that meets increased security standards for state issued drivers licenses and identification cards.

Yes. It cannot be metal.

Yes, a federally recognized, tribal issued photo ID is an acceptable form of identification.

No. REAL IDs cards cannot be used for border crossings into Canada, Mexico or other international travel. It is designated for US travel.

No.  TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. The companion will need acceptable identification.

You can use mail in your spouse’s name with a certified marriage license.

May 3rd, 2023



Currently the State of Alaska will not allow service partners like UMV, to conduct and certify CDL's for Alaska Residents.  We would very much like to be able to offer these services to our amazing customers, but the State will not allow us to. Below are two links:

This link is to the main State of Alaska Legislature website where you can first verify and then contact your senator and/or representative and please ask that they make the necessary changes in statute to allow service providers like UMV to offer CDL's to Alaskans.

Alaska Legislature FAQ

The second is a link to the State of Alaska website regarding CDL's.  Almost all services at the State of Alaska DMV are now done by appointment only.

State DMV for CDL 


To be issued a Standard Alaska driver license, permit or ID card, you must prove the following elements: your full legal name, identity, date of birth, lawful status in the United States, social security number, and proof of residential address.

All documents presented must be unaltered certified originals, certified amended originals, or true copies certified by the issuing agency. Documents must be valid and unexpired and may not be laminated. Foreign documents must have certified English translation.

Primary Identification Documents: (one from this list)

The following documents are acceptable for proving legal name and date of birth. If the applicant’s legal name is different from what is printed on their primary document, they will need to bring in the document(s) that provide proof of the name change.

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate (From Vital Statistics)
  • U.S. passport (must be current)
  • U.S. passport card, Issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
  • An Alaska learner’s permit, driver license or State Identification card.
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport issued from another country including Canada, with appropriate immigration documents.
  • I-551 – Residence Alien Card issued since 1997. * I-688A or B – Employment Authorization
  • I-766 – Employment Authorization
  • SEVIS I-20 Form (Signed by school in Alaska) with valid foreign passport and visa.
  • REAL ID compliant ID or license from a state that has fully complied with the “REAL ID Act”. A REAL ID compliant ID or license will have a circle with a star. Check your ID Guide for examples. (Additional documentation will be required to prove citizenship and lawful status.)

~ AND ~

Secondary Identification Documents: (one from this list)

Secondary identification documents are meant to give customers another set of documents to use to prove identity. Secondary documents are to be used to obtain a duplicate or to renew an Alaska driver’s license, permit, or identification card. For information on requirements to obtain an original driver’s license, permit or identification card, see Primary Identification Documents.

  • All primary documents
  • Social Security Card
  • Canadian Tribal Card
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card or an Indian Treaty Card. (Some tribal cards are more reliable than the BIA card. DMV’s can make their own determination.)
  • State issued Driver license or ID card that has NOT been expired over a year.
  • Court order that does not contain the applicant’s date of birth.
  • Photographic employer identification card.
  • Foreign birth certificate.
  • Foreign passport.
  • Health insurance card [Such as Blue Cross/Shield, Aetna, or a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)].
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax form.
  • Marriage license or certificate.
  • Individual’s medical records from a doctor or a hospital.
  • Military dependent identification.
  • Military discharge or separation papers. (DD214) 16. For minors only, Parent or guardian affidavit. The parent or guardian must appear in person and prove their identity and submit a certified or notarized affidavit regarding the child’s identity.
  • Gun permit.
  • Pilot’s license.
  • Certified school record or transcript.
  • Photographic school identification card.
  • Vehicle title. A vehicle registration is not acceptable.
  • Welfare card
  • Prison release document or photographic prison identification card (See LP-2090).
  • Voter Registration Card
  • TWIC Card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential)
  • Verification of ALVIN information with OL Photo

~ AND ~

Proof of Physical Residence Address: (one from this list)

An applicant must present documentation that contains both the applicant’s name and address of principal residence. This cannot be a post office box or mail cache facility. The proof of residence address may consist of:

  • Utility Bill
  • Alaska Voter Registration Card
  • Alaska title and/or registration (Issued at least 30 days prior to application.)
  • Paycheck Stub
  • Medical Assistance Card
  • Public Assistance Card
  • Cancelled Check or Bank Statement
  • Mortgage or rental documents
  • Hotel document showing 60 consecutive days of residency
  • Shelter document
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Letter from employer on letterhead verifying applicant’s residence address



Scroll to Top