The following information applies to the process for obtaining either a learner's permit or a regular Alaska Driver's License.  Neither of the following processes apply to acquiring your REAL ID.

To be issued a Standard Alaska driver license, permit or ID card, you must prove the following elements: your full legal name, identity, date of birth, lawful status in the United States, and proof of residential address and have or know the driver's social security number.

All documents presented must be unaltered certified originals, certified amended originals, or true copies certified by the issuing agency. Documents must be valid and unexpired and may not be laminated. Foreign documents must have certified English translation.

Primary Identification Documents: (one from this list)

The following documents are acceptable for proving legal name and date of birth. If the applicant’s legal name is different from what is printed on their primary document, they will need to bring in the document(s) that provide proof of the name change.

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate (From Vital Statistics)
  • U.S. passport (must be current)
  • U.S. passport card, Issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
  • An Alaska learner’s permit, driver license or State Identification card.
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport issued from another country including Canada, with appropriate immigration documents.
  • I-551 – Residence Alien Card issued since 1997. * I-688A or B – Employment Authorization
  • I-766 – Employment Authorization
  • SEVIS I-20 Form (Signed by school in Alaska) with valid foreign passport and visa.

~ AND ~

Secondary Identification Documents: (one from this list)

Secondary identification documents are meant to give customers another set of documents to use to prove identity. Secondary documents are to be used to obtain a duplicate or to renew an Alaska driver’s license, permit, or identification card. For information on requirements to obtain an original driver’s license, permit or identification card, see Primary Identification Documents.

  • All primary documents
  • Social Security Card
  • Canadian Tribal Card
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card or an Indian Treaty Card. (Some tribal cards are more reliable than the BIA card. DMV’s can make their own determination.)
  • State issued Driver license or ID card that has NOT been expired over a year.
  • Court order that does not contain the applicant’s date of birth.
  • Photographic employer identification card.
  • Foreign birth certificate.
  • Foreign passport.
  • Health insurance card [Such as Blue Cross/Shield, Aetna, or a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)].
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax form.
  • Marriage license or certificate.
  • Individual’s medical records from a doctor or a hospital.
  • Military dependent identification.
  • Military discharge or separation papers. (DD214) 16. For minors only, Parent or guardian affidavit. The parent or guardian must appear in person and prove their identity and submit a certified or notarized affidavit regarding the child’s identity.
  • Gun permit.
  • Pilot’s license.
  • Certified school record or transcript.
  • Photographic school identification card.
  • Vehicle title. A vehicle registration is not acceptable.
  • Welfare card
  • Prison release document or photographic prison identification card (See LP-2090).
  • Voter Registration Card
  • TWIC Card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential)
  • Verification of ALVIN information with OL Photo

~ AND ~

Proof of Physical Residence Address: (one from this list)

An applicant must present documentation that contains both the applicant’s name and address of principal residence. This cannot be a post office box or mail cache facility. The proof of residence address may consist of:

  • Utility Bill
  • Alaska Voter Registration Card
  • Alaska title and/or registration (Issued at least 30 days prior to application.)
  • Paycheck Stub
  • Medical Assistance Card
  • Public Assistance Card
  • Cancelled Check or Bank Statement
  • Mortgage or rental documents
  • Hotel document showing 60 consecutive days of residency
  • Shelter document
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Letter from employer on letterhead verifying applicant’s residence address



To be issued an Alaska Learners Permit you must first pass the General Knowledge Exam.

  • General Knowledge Exam (Offered at all UMV locations). Please arrive prior to 5pm.
  • Study Guide for General Knowledge Exam available for purchase at all UMV locations.


In the state of Alaska, in order to grant driving privileges to a minor, a legal guardian must be present to sign and approve.

To be able to approve driving privileges, the adult must bring documents proving their legal guardianship over the minor. These can include:

  • The minor’s birth certificate with the guardian’s current legal name listed as one of the parents
    • If the guardian’s current name is different from their name on the BC, they must bring the document(s) proving their legal name change
  • Court issued paperwork that declares the adult present as the child’s legal guardian


Scroll to Top